These are simply THE BEST crispy baked chicken nuggets ever! There’s no need to fry them because they come out even better from the oven. Kid tested and approved! Dip them in honey mustard, ketchup or BBQ sauce.
I created this chicken nugget recipe in 2011 when my kids were in elementary school. Through the years, it somehow made its way to the back burner as the kids taste buds matured until one day I was feeling nostalgic and made them again.
Man are these good! They hit all the right notes. They are crispy, crunchy and flavorful on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. But more importantly, they brought back a lot of great memories.
Ingredients in Homemade Chicken Nuggets
These nuggets only require 4 ingredients and some spices. They are:
- Chicken – I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can use those thinner tenderloins or tenders as well.
- Breadcrumbs – regular Italian or Panko bread crumbs work, or a combination of both
- Spices – basil, thyme, garlic & onion powder, salt and pepper
- Dairy – grated Parmesan cheese and butter
How to make homemade chicken nuggets
One of the best things about this recipe is there is very little prep time. They can be prepped and in the oven in under 15 minutes.
- Prepare the chicken. Slice the chicken breast in half lengthwise if it is on the thicker side, then cut the chicken up into 1″ pieces.
- Breadcrumb Mixture. Grab a bowl and toss the Parmesan cheese, spices and breadcrumbs until they are combined.
- Butter. Melt the butter in small shallow sauté pan. You can also melt it in the microwave, I just find this way is easier as the warm pan keeps the butter warm.
- Dip and bread. Dip the chicken into the melted butter and then into the breadcrumbs pressing down to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Bake. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Nuggets
- You can keep this real simple and healthy and serve them alongside some rice and broccoli or we can serve them with our Parmesan Garlic Noodles. This is a nice pairing because there is already Parmesan cheese in the chicken.
- You can never go wrong with Creamy Garlic Parmesan Orzo.
- But this Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese will make everyone happy!
HOMEMADE BAKED CHICKEN NUGGETS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts (filleted in half and flattened with a mallet, cut in 1″ chunks)
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (Italian or Panko)
- ½ Cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon EACH dried basil, thyme, garlic, onion powders
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces or strips.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and spices
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over low/medium heat. Once melted, remove from the heat and place next to the chicken and breadcrumbs.
- Dip the chicken pieces first into the butter and then the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken oven using tongs and cook another 5 minutes or until cooked through.