Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup quite possibly has the fewest ingredients yet the biggest flavor a soup can offer, which is why it’s probably one of the most googled soups of all time.
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can compete with the rich and creamy goodness of broccoli and cheddar cheese soup. Not only is this classic recipe a favorite among foodies and home cooks alike, but it also is one of Panera’s top selling soups of all time!
But restaurant soups can be very high in carbs and sodium. Panera’s soup has 20 grams of carbs and 930 mg of sodium in just a cup of soup. Some of the carbs come from the broccoli itself along with the flour to thicken it, but still it’s more carbs and sodium than I like to consume.
I went back and forth with whether to label this Keto friendly or not b/c this recipe does have a Tablespoon of flour in it. Is 1 Tablespoon enough to kill this as a keto recipe? I’ll wait for you guys to let me know.
I guess you could leave the flour out or I’m open to alternative flour suggestions if any of you have tried them in this type of soup.
The ratio is 86% Fat, 6.3% Carbs, 8% Protein in case you are counting macros.
A Classic Recipe for Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Begin by finely dicing the onions, carrots and chopping the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Some readers have said the broccoli took longer to cook than the recipe states, so you can either blanch it in a saucepan or the microwave first and set aside.
- Sauté the onions and carrots in butter (or ghee) in a large stock pot on the stove top until they turn translucent. Add the garlic.
- Next, add the flour to make a roux and allow it cook for at least 1-2 minutes, stirring with a whisk until there are no lumps.
- Next, pour in chicken or vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the heavy cream.
- Add the cream cheese and sharp cheddar cheese (please don’t use pre-shredded cheese, it contains wood pulp). Allow it to simmer.
- (Optional) Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- Finally, add the chopped broccoli and simmer until all the vegetables are tender.
Don’t underestimate the power of broccoli and cheese soup. It’s more than just a comfort food; it’s a nutrient-packed dish that can improve your health and wellbeing. From its high levels of calcium and vitamin C to its fiber and protein content, this soup is as delicious as it is healthy.
Here are some ways to serve it:
- Classic bowl: Of course, the most common way to enjoy broccoli and cheese soup is in a bowl with a spoon. You can garnish it with croutons, herbs, or extra cheese for more flavor and texture. Don’t forget to have some bread on the side to dip in the soup!
- Bread bowl: For a more fun presentation, you can hollow out a loaf of bread and pour the soup inside. This way, you can eat both the soup and the bread together. It also makes for a great Instagram photo!
- Baked potato: For a hearty meal, you can ladle broccoli and cheese soup over a baked potato. It’s a filling and satisfying combination that will keep you warm for hours.
These are just some suggestions to show you how versatile broccoli and cheese soup can be. Feel free to experiment with your own ideas and let us know how it turns out!
BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
A creamy delicious cheddar cheese soup with bits of broccoli.
- ¼ Cup Onion, diced
- ¼ Cup Carrot, shredded
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth, warm
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Cups Broccoli, chopped in small pieces
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream, warmed
- 1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (sharp or mild)
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used ½ tsp salt and ¼ pepper)
- Begin by melting the butter (or ghee) in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and sauté until they soften – approx. 3-4 min. Season with a little salt and pepper as they cook.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Slowly add the warmed chicken broth and water allowing the soup come to a boil. Turn the stove down to low (or take it off the heat entirely) and add the cream. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the cream cheese and slowly add the cheddar cheese about ¼ cup at a time, ensuring it has completely melted before adding any more. If you would like a smoother soup, now is the time to use an immersion blender to the desired consistency.
- Add the broccoli and taste for seasonings. Let the soup simmer 10 min or until broccoli softens.
- Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 336
- Sugar: 1.8 gr
- Sodium: 414 mg
- Fat: 30.2 gr
- Saturated Fat: 17.9 gr
- Carbohydrates: 7.6 gr
- Fiber: 1.6 gr
- Protein: 10.4 gr
- Cholesterol: 96 mg