This butter and garlic cream sauce comes together in just minutes and is the perfect topper for pasta, ravioli, shrimp, seafood or steak!
Look no further! This garlic and butter cream sauce is restaurant worthy and has fast become one of the most popular recipes on our site.
It all started with these butternut squash ravioli I had in the freezer from Trader Joe’s. They sat there because I had no idea what kind of sauce to put on top of them. Cheese or meat ravioli works well with a marinara or red sauce, but butternut squash just does not!
These poor ravioli sat there until I decided to make a sauce that was creamy, buttery and garlicy. And so our butter garlic cream sauce was born.
What is Butter & Garlic Cream Sauce made of?
- Butter – I use salted butter, but unsalted works fine
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves is always the way to go, but minced from the jar also works and I’ve even used garlic powder.
- Flour – White whole wheat (or unbleached) is what I have on hand to help thicken this sauce.
- Milk – Whole milk is whisked in for a creamy, smooth sauce. Low fat will also work, but the sauce may be a little thinner. Be sure to heat the milk in the microwave until warm before adding it to the saucepan.
- Spices – oregano, basil and parsley are added for a little flavor.
How to make a Butter Garlic Cream Sauce:
This ‘recipe’ is so simple it’s hard to even call it a recipe. It literally comes together in 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. I prefer to not let it bubble and boil. Slowly melt it over a low flame. Add the garlic.
- Stir in the flour and be sure to continue whisking it for AT LEAST 1 minute, again just simmering over low heat.
- Add the warmed milk and spices
- Allow it to thicken and simmer until heated through.
Is Butter & Garlic Cream Sauce the same as Alfredo Sauce?
- No, alfredo sauce is made with lots of parmesan cheese and heavy cream. It is much thicker than this sauce. This sauce not only does not contain cheese, it uses whole milk instead of cream.
Isn’t this just a fancy Bechamel sauce?
- Yep. Bechamel sauces are one of the 4 mother sauces taught in culinary school and when made well are the base in many other dishes such as chicken pot pie, lasagna or mac and cheese.
How Long with this sauce last?
- It will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What to use Creamy Garlic Butter sauce on:
- Any vegetables you want your kids to eat! Especially broccoli
- Surf and turf
- Any fish or seafood
Looking for more easy sauce recipes?Print
Every cook needs a staple recipe and this one is it ! A versatile garlic and butter sauce that uses few ingredients and comes together in minutes.
- 1 /3 Cup Butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Whole wheat white flour
- 1 Cup Whole milk, warmed
- pinch of dried oregano, basil and parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once it begins to melt, take it off the heat and swirl the pan to allow the butter to continue to melt. Once the butter is fully melted, add the garlic and cook for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute to cook off any raw flour taste.
- Slowly, whisk in the milk, a little at a time.
- Add the spices and continue cooking over a very low heat for a few minutes until thick. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve over your favorite ravioli, steak, fish or chicken.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 2.8 gr
- Sodium: 139 mg
- Fat: 17.4 gr
- Carbohydrates: 7 gr
- Fiber: .2 gr
- Protein: 2.7 gr
- Cholesterol: 50 gr