A 5 minute garlic and butter cream sauce that is a perfect topper for pasta, ravioli, shrimp, seafood or steak!
Update: Jan 2021
Thanks to all of you, this butter and garlic cream sauce has been in the TOP 3 recipes on this site and on Google searches since 2012! So we decided to update this post with some new pictures, however all ingredients, your comments, etc. have remained unchanged.
Do you need a simple and delicious sauce to put over pasta or shrimp or ravioli that is done in less than 5 minutes and has less than 5 ingredients!!!!
Look no further!
This garlic and butter cream sauce is restaurant worthy and has fast become one of the most popular recipes on this site.
It all started with these butternut squash ravioli I had in the freezer from Trader Joe’s. They sat there because I had no idea what kind of sauce to put on top of them. I don’t buy processed Alfredo jarred sauces anymore because they contain too many chemicals and preservatives, so these poor ravioli sat in the freezer.
My husband called me one afternoon and said he was coming home for lunch and I literally had nothing on hand. With no other choices, I decided to pull out the ravioli and create a quick sauce to go over them.
A red sauce doesn’t usually pair well with butternut squash, and with nothing in the pantry to fall back on, I decided to come up with something that had butter and garlic as the main ingredients.
This garlic butter sauce is so easy to make and is really ready in under 10 minutes. Be sure to cook the flour for at least a minute, stirring it with the butter so it browns and doesn’t have a raw flour taste.
This sauce goes so well with ravioli, especially different flavored ones like seafood, squash or mushroom when a red sauce clashes with it.
Surf and turf is another perfect combination calling for a garlic butter sauce. Just drizzle a little on top of the cooked steak and shrimp … it’s utterly delicious!
If you are looking for other ideas or inspiration, please read through the hundreds of comments below for other variations and suggestions.
And thanks again to the over 2.6 MILLION pageviews, pins, shares and comments on this simple, versatile and delicious sauce.Print
Every cook needs a staple recipe and this one is it ! A versatile garlic and butter sauce that uses few ingredients and comes together in minutes.
- 1 /3 Cup Butter
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Whole wheat white flour
- 1 Cup Whole milk
- pinch of dried oregano, basil and parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Don’t let it sizzle or burn. Once it begins to melt, take it off the heat and swirl the pan to allow the butter to continue to melt. Once fully melted, add the garlic and cook for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute to cook off any raw flour taste.
- Slowly, add about ¼ of the milk, whisking constantly. Add the rest, whisking, then the spices. Continue cooking for a few minutes until thick. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve over your favorite ravioli, steak, fish or chicken.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 2.8 gr
- Sodium: 139 mg
- Fat: 17.4 gr
- Carbohydrates: 7 gr
- Fiber: .2 gr
- Protein: 2.7 gr
- Cholesterol: 50 gr