Get ready to dive into a bowl of pure comfort with our creamy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup. We’re talking about a velvety blend of cauliflower, rich cheddar cheese, and aromatic veggies that will warm your soul. It’s a cozy delight that’ll have you coming back for seconds. So grab a spoon and get ready to indulge in this epic bowl of goodness.
Who knew that our Broccoli and Cheddar Soup would skyrocket to the #1 recipe on our blog within months of publishing it?! It seems like you guys have a fondness for broccoli, cheddar, or perhaps just soup in general. Since there is such great interest in this soup, we wanted to offer you more options.
We’ve been working on a cauliflower cheddar soup for quite some time, and I’m super excited to finally publish it.
In the realm of comforting soups, this cauliflower cheddar soup stands tall as a true champion. Not only does it boast a lusciously smooth texture and a rich blend of flavors, but it also carries an additional advantage—it is completely gluten-free.
The Cauliflower Magic: A Gluten-Free Base
At the heart of this soup lies the versatile and nutritious cauliflower. Its mild flavor makes it an ideal candidate for a gluten-free soup base. As the cauliflower simmers and softens in the broth, its natural creaminess emerges, creating a creamy foundation that beautifully complements the other ingredients.
The best part? This soup achieves its velvety texture without the use of flour or any other gluten-containing thickeners. As a result, it retains its pure essence while remaining a wonderful option for those following gluten-free diets.
The Cheesy Decadence: Cheddar at Its Best
To elevate the flavors to new heights, our soup incorporates the indulgence of cheddar cheese. As the cheese melts into the soup, it adds a velvety texture and an irresistible depth of flavor. It is sooo good!
Vegetable Medley and Seasonings
To elevate the flavor profile of the soup, we start by sautéing a medley of aromatic vegetables—onions, carrots, and celery—which forms a robust and flavorful base. But it doesn’t stop there.
When we introduce garlic, thyme, and a subtle hint of nutmeg, that’s when the magic truly unfolds. These aromatic additions work harmoniously, creating a symphony of flavors that beautifully infuse the soup, taking it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Gluten-Free Bliss: The Absence of Flour
Unlike many traditional soup recipes that rely on flour as a thickening agent, our Creamy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup takes a different approach. By using the natural creaminess of cauliflower and the melting properties of cheese, this recipe achieves its luxurious texture without the need for flour or any gluten-containing ingredients.
- Can I use frozen cauliflower instead of fresh?
- Yes, you can use frozen cauliflower in this recipe. Just make sure to thaw it before adding it to the soup.
- Can I substitute the cheddar cheese with another type of cheese?
- Absolutely! While cheddar cheese adds a rich and tangy flavor to the soup, you can experiment with different cheeses based on your preference. Gouda, Monterey Jack, or even a combination of cheeses can create delicious variations.
- Can I make this soup ahead of time?
- Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time. Allow it to cool completely, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, gently reheat it on the stovetop, stirring occasionally.
- Can I freeze the soup?
- Yes, this soup can be frozen. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to freezer-safe containers or bags. Label them with the date and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the soup in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- How can I make the soup thicker or thinner in consistency?
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can blend it for a longer duration or add a small amount of cornstarch mixed with water to thicken it. If you desire a thinner consistency, you can add a bit more broth or cream.
- Can I make this soup vegetarian or vegan?
- Absolutely! You can easily adapt this recipe to be vegetarian or vegan. Replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth and use a plant-based cheese alternative or nutritional yeast for a vegan version. The result will still be a delicious and creamy cauliflower soup.
- Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
- Certainly! This recipe serves as a versatile base, and you can customize it by adding other vegetables like broccoli, peas, or even roasted red peppers. Just ensure the additional vegetables are cooked until tender before blending them into the soup
MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
There is no need for flour to make a roux in this Cauliflower & Cheese Soup ~ all that is needed is a beautiful head of cauliflower, potato, carrots, spices, broth and cream.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Cup Onion, diced
- ½ Cup Carrot, diced
- ½ Cup Celery, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 2 ½ Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Small Head Cauliflower, cut into florets (6 cups)
- 1 Medium Potato, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon dried Chives
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot and celery, sprinkle with ¼ tsp of salt and a pinch of pepper. Saute for approx. 4 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook a minute longer. Add the spices and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add another tsp of sea salt if you are using homemade chicken broth or low sodium.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the cauliflower and potato. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, approximately 10 min. Puree the soup using an immersion blender (or carefully blending in batches in a blender) until smooth.
- Take the soup off the heat and add the heavy cream and cheese. Heat until the cheese is melted through. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper if necessary. Add 1 Tablespoon dried chives.