Are you in need of another under 30 minute weeknight dinner? I’ve got you covered my friends.
Now I know there are either mushroom LOVERS or mushroom HATERS in the world. But don’t let that deter you from making this Chicken Marsala recipe. You can omit the mushrooms and still get all that great flavor. I don’t know why you would, but I’m just putting the option out there.
I, for one, absolutely love mushrooms so I tend to go a little overboard when I make this recipe. I always end up with leftovers and it’s one of my favorite lunches the next day.
Marsala wine, surprisingly enough, is actually drinkable. Yes, I know. I’ve always bought the Marsala wine in the supermarket that’s next to the Balsamic vinegars. Not a good idea. Have you actually ever TASTED that?
I found out while googling one day that the Italian culture starts off their dinner with a Marsala wine. That’s when I decided to go and find myself one of these bottles. Trader Joe’s has a nice one that’s not too expensive. It’s was around the $10 mark if I remember correctly. What a world of difference between this bottle and the supermarket one!!
Please do yourself a favor and get a nice Marsala wine for this recipe. You have the choice between a sweet wine and a dry wine. I’ve used both for this recipe and prefer the sweet one (of course 😉 ) but dry works just as well.
My preferred side dish with this chicken marsala are mashed potatoes. There is something about the sauce mixing with the potatoes on the plate that just makes my tummy happy!Print
Chicken Marsala is an Italian/American classic with pan fried thinly sliced chicken breasts topped with sautéed mushrooms in a marsala wine sauce.
- 2 Large Organic Chicken Breasts cut in half and flattened between 2 pieces of wax paper
- 1 Pkg Organic Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp Whole Wheat White Flour (or Gluten Free if you want this to be a GF recipe)
- 2 Tbsp Good Quality Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Organic Salted Butter, divided 2 Tbsp & 1 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 Cup Good Quality Marsala Wine (Trader Joe’s has a pretty inexpensive one)
- 1/2 Cup Organic Heavy Cream ( or Half and Half)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by slicing the chicken in half lengthwise and flatten between 2 pieces of wax paper using a rolling pin or meat mallet. The purpose isn’t to make them as flat as a pancake, but rather the same thickness so they will cook evenly
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken in the flour shaking off any excess
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a pan over medium/high heat. You don’t want the pan smoking but you do want to create some heat. Add the butter and when it stops foaming, add your chicken. You should be able to comfortably fit 3-4 pieces in the pan. You may have to do it in batches depending on how much chicken you have
- Cook the chicken for 3 min per side and set it on a plate. Keep it warm by covering it with foil while you cook the remaining chicken
- Add 1 Tbsp butter to the pan and add the mushrooms. Cook until they release their liquid, approx 5 minutes
- Add the marsala wine and lemon juice, picking up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook until it is reduced by half
- Lower the heat to med and add the cream. Stir constantly until reduced and glossy
- Return the chicken to the pan to finish cooking (if necessary).
- Taste for seasoning and serve with mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice and a veggie
LOOKING FOR MORE FREE RECIPES?
Subscribe to our newsletter to get family friendly healthy recipes delivered to your inbox. You can also find us sharing more recipes on Pinterest.