In just 30 minutes you can have the most filling lip smacking good Chicken Tortilla soup. This soup is made with simple pantry items, like chicken broth, diced tomatoes and spices so there’s no need to make a special trip to the store.
I recommend sautéing the chicken in a pan for maximum flavor. Set it aside until the chicken is cool enough to handle and shred using 2 forks. If you don’t have time for this, a rotisserie chicken from the market is an excellent alternative.
This soup is so thick it eats more like a meal than just a soup. Along with shredded chicken, beans and corn, rice is also added and simmers in the broth until done. It is one of the most filling soups and is great for a quick dinner on a colder night.
WHAT CAN YOU PUT ON TOP OF YOUR CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP?:
- Shredded cheese is always a great place to start- no such thing as too much cheese, right?
- Tortilla strips can go on next.
- Who can forget the avocados?
- Sour cream anyone? Just a dollop …
- Pico de gallo or salsa adds a ton of flavor. You can go mild or HOT.
Whatever you decide to top this delicious chicken tortilla soup with I hope you enjoy it and look forward to your comments.Print
Tender shredded chicken is combined with bold spices, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, beans and rice for a very filling and satisfying soup!
- 1 – 1 ½ lbs. Chicken Breast, lightly pounded for evenness
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 32 oz. Chicken Broth
- (1) 28 oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 16 oz. Water
- (1) 14.5 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- 1 Cup Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ Cup Frozen Organic Corn
- ½ Cup Rice, uncooked
- 8 oz Shredded Cheese of choice
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place a large saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Add the olive oil and once hot, add the chicken and cook until it is lightly browned on one side (approx. 4-5 minutes). Flip and cook the other side until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and let cool. Once cooled, shred with 2 forks.
- In the same saucepan, add another Tablespoon of oil and once hot, add the onion. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and sauté for approx. 2 min. Add the garlic and jalapeno. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is just becoming golden.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, water, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Raise heat to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in rice. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for for 15 minutes for white rice or 30 for brown, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and cheese.
- Serve the soup with desired toppings.
TOPPINGS: tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, guacamole and/or lime wedges.