Calling all mushroom lovers! This Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe is perfect for those who can’t get enough of this delicious umami flavor. Silky creamy texture with tons of little chunks of mushrooms with a splash of Sherry at the end.
Are you a fan of the earthy, meaty flavor of mushrooms? Then this soup is a must-try! This recipe is not only easy to follow, but it also results in a rich and savory soup that will warm you up from the inside out. With its simple yet flavorful ingredients and easy-to-follow directions, it’s a perfect low carb comfort food for any occasion.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make the best cream of mushroom soup, you’ll need a handful of simple ingredients that come together to create a flavorful and satisfying dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used button and baby bella mushrooms)
- 1 onion
- Oil and butter
- Chicken stock
- Half and Half (I found heavy cream to be too thick and milk to be too thin)
- Spices, salt and pepper
- Dry Sherry (the secret ingredient)
These ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store and this recipe should make enough soup to serve about 4-6 people. Keep in mind that you can always adjust the amounts of each ingredient to suit your personal taste preferences.
How to make the best cream of mushroom soup
- Begin by heating a large pot over medium heat and adding the oil. Once the butter has Add the chopped onions and mushrooms, stirring occasionally until the onions become translucent and the mushrooms have released their moisture. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, transfer them to a food processor and pulse until you get the desired mushroom size you are looking for. Set them aside.
- Now it’s time to make the roux, which is what makes the soup thick. This is done by combining the flour and butter together in the pan and cooking off the raw flour taste (1-2 minutes).
- Gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for about 20 minutes. During this time, the soup will thicken and become creamy.
- Remove it from the heat and stir in the heavy cream and Sherry.
Tips for Storing Your Mushroom Soup
When storing your soup, be sure to let it cool completely before placing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should keep well for up to three days.
If you want to freeze it for later, make sure to store it in a freezer-safe container and thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.
If you’re reheating your soup, be gentle with it to avoid overcooking the mushrooms and ruining the texture. You can reheat it on the stove or in the microwave, stirring occasionally until it’s heated through.
MORE OF YOUR FAVORITE SOUP RECIPES:
- No secret, YOUR #1 soup is Broccoli and Cheddar
- Another classic favorite is Pasta Fagioli
- Hanging on to 3rd spot is Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
A full bodied creamy soup packed with mushroom flavor
- 1 – 14 oz pkg. Mushrooms, chopped
- ½ Cup Onion, diced
- 1 ½ Cups Chicken stock
- 2 Cups Half and half
- ¼ teaspoon Dried thyme
- 5 Tbsp. Butter, divided
- 4 Tbsp. Flour
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Sherry
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil (or butter) to a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions then the mushrooms and thyme. Sauté for approx. 5-10 minutes or until most of the liquid from the mushrooms has been released.
- Transfer the mushrooms and onions to a food processor. Pulse to a desired consistency. Pulse a lot for a smoother soup or just a few times for a chunkier soup. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 4 Tablespoons butter to the pan and after it melts, begin whisking in the flour for 1-2 minutes to burn off any raw flour taste.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock while continuously whisking to prevent any lumps. Heat until almost boiling, then turn the stove down to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the half and half and sherry to the soup. Stir. Return the mushrooms to the pan and continue to cook on low until the soup is warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 1.3 gr
- Sodium: 572 mg
- Fat: 17.1 gr
- Saturated Fat: 10.5 gr
- Carbohydrates: 13.4 gr
- Fiber: .07
- Protein: 1.3 gr
- Cholesterol: 52 mg