This Creamed Spinach not only looks enticing but also tastes divine. The creaminess of the sauce beautifully coats the tender spinach. The well-balanced seasonings, especially the pinch of nutmeg, add a subtle complexity that keeps you coming back for more.
Creamed spinach is one of those classic dishes that never goes out of style. And if you’re looking for a creamed spinach recipe that’s sure to impress, look no further! This one is a winner with its creamy sauce, delightful blend of spinach, onions, and garlic, and just a hint of nutmeg to take it up a notch.
HOW TO MAKE A GREAT CREAMED SPINACH
- I like to use frozen spinach for this recipe. It’s just easier. Before you add it to the recipe though, make sure it is fully thawed, drained in a colander and then squeezed dry with paper towels. And I mean S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E-D dry.
- While the spinach is draining the next step is to make a simple roux. Melt some butter in a saucepan and sauté some onions until they are translucent. Add the flour to the saucepan and continue to cook it while whisking or stirring for a least a minute or two.
- Add the warmed cream and milk slowly, whisking constantly so no lumps form. Add the spices and test for seasoning.
- Add the spinach to the sauce and stir to combine.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CREAMED SPINACH:
Creamed spinach is a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses. Here are some delicious options to serve with this creamy and flavorful spinach dish:
- Grilled Steak: The rich and creamy texture of creamed spinach complements the hearty flavors of a perfectly grilled steak. The combination of the tender steak and the creamy spinach is a match made in culinary heaven.
- Roast Chicken: Creamed spinach adds a touch of elegance to a simple roast chicken. The creamy sauce enhances the succulent chicken and elevates the overall dining experience.
- Baked Salmon: The creamy and savory taste of creamed spinach contrasts wonderfully with the light and flaky texture of baked salmon. It’s a delightful combination that will impress your guests.
- Herb-Roasted Pork Tenderloin: The herbal flavors of the roasted pork tenderloin pair beautifully with the creamy and slightly sweet taste of the spinach.
- Grilled Shrimp: The creamy spinach provides a delightful backdrop to the smoky and succulent flavors of grilled shrimp. It’s a fantastic seafood pairing that will leave you wanting more.
A beautiful blend of spinach, onions and garlic in a creamy sauce with a hint of nutmeg
- 1 box frozen spinach, thawed, and squeezed dry
- ¾ Cups Organic Whole Milk
- ½ Cup Organic Heavy Cream (or 1 ¼ Cups Organic Half and Half)
- ¼ Cup Organic Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Organic Garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt, pepper to taste
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- Thaw the spinach in a colander and squeeze dry with paper towels until completely dry. Place the spinach on a cutting board and chop up
- Put the milk and cream in a measuring cup and heat in the microwave until warm
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and saute the onion until tender, approx. 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant (approx. 1 min). Add the milk and the cream
- Whisk in the flour and stir for 1 minute
- Add the milk and cream very slowly so lumps don’t form until all the liquid is incorporated and smooth
- Add the nutmeg and spices. Taste and check seasoning, adjust as necessary
- Lastly add the spinach and stir until the sauce is distributed throughout and hot