Chicken and wild rice soup has a lot of similar components to classic chicken noodle soup, only with rice and cream added. Shredded precooked chicken is used to speed up the process which means a piping hot bowl of this filling soup is perfect for weeknights!
I am on a new kick now with rice …. WILD rice.
I get a wild rice blend, which is a blend of brown, white, wild and red rices. It contains almost twice the protein and fiber as brown rice, and is also high in B vitamins, manganese, zinc, potassium, phosphorous and magnesium, while being relatively low in calories.
I made the most amazing Wild Rice with Caramelized Sweet Potatoes, Shallots and Mushrooms last week. So this week I wanted to use up the wild rice that I had left and decided to make a creamy chicken soup with it.
Our soup uses already precooked chicken. You can dice it into cubes or shred it. It also uses cooked rice. Both of which speed up the cooking time for this soup.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP:
- This soup uses pre cooked chicken and precooked rice, so be sure to have both of them on hand.
- Then simply sauté the onions, carrots, celery, garlic until softened which releases their beautiful flavors. Sprinkle some flour over the veggies to make a roux. You always want to cook flour for at least a minute, stirring often.
- Add the liquid and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cooked chicken and rice and stir to combine and heat through.
- Finally add your cream off the heat and your soup is done!
A flavorful creamy chicken soup with onions, carrots, garlic, mushrooms and filling wild rice. You can’t go wrong !
- 2 Cup cooked wild rice
- 1 Cup Onion, diced
- 1 Cup Carrots, diced (from 2 medium)
- 1 Cup Celery diced (from 2 – 3 stalks)
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 ½ Cups Chicken Broth
- 1–2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1–2 Chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded
- ¼ cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Whole Milk
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream (or 2 Cups Half and Half)
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Once foaming, add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Sauté until slightly tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute longer.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly, whisk in the milk and then the chicken broth. Taste for seasoning and add salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Add cooked rice and the chicken to the soup.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer on low for 10 minutes or until the chicken is heated through.
Calories 223; Fat 13.8 gr; Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 654 mg; Carbs 14.2 gr; Fiber 1.6 gr; Sugar 3 gr; Protein 11 gr