Creamy risotto with a slight saltiness from parmesan cheese topped with juicy oven roasted shrimp. Perfect meal for guests or your family.
If you are looking for a meal that is both fancy enough to serve to guests, yet also lends itself to a weeknight meal for your family, then this creamy risotto with parmesan cheese and oven roasted shrimp might just be what you are looking for.
Risotto, as I’ve mentioned before on this website, is not a difficult dish to make. It actually is quite comforting and soothing.
It really all just comes down to time. Risotto usually takes 30 minutes start to finish to make and I have 2 little tips that I think might help you.
2 of the components that make a risotto a creamy success are:
- Incorporating most of the broth each time before adding any more, stirring often and
- Mmaking sure your broth is WARM not HOT but very very warm.
But the real successful part of this dish is the juicy oven roasted shrimp. As you are stirring your risotto the shrimp are just roasting away in the oven doing double duty with your time.
You just oil them babies up, put a little salt and pepper, some minced garlic (even some Old Bay if you want) on them and roast them at a very high heat WHILE the risotto is cooking.
This way you aren’t sauteeing chicken or cooking another dish while you are trying to drink your wine and stir the risotto at the same time.
See I care about you!
When the risotto is done, the shrimp will be done and you now have yourself a gourmet meal!
FOR THE RISOTTO:
- 4 Tablespoons Organic Salted Butter, divided in half
- 1/2 Cup Organic Onion, diced
- 2-4 Cloves Organic Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 3 Cups Organic Chicken Stock or Homemade, warmed to 110- 120 degrees
- 3/4 Cup Organic Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Organic Parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
FOR THE SHRIMP:
- 1 lb. Shrimp, peeled leaving the tails on and deveined
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 Clove Organic Garlic, minced
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until very tender, approximately 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Season again. Add the rice and stir until all the rice is coated.
- Add the wine and stir until all the liquid is absorbed. Add 1/2 cup warm broth. Boil gently until broth is absorbed, stirring frequently. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary. Add another 1 cup broth; stir until broth is absorbed. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing it to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 25 minutes.
- Take the risotto off the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter and the grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and shaved Parmesan.
FOR THE SHRIMP:
- Peel and devein the shrimp. Pat dry and put in a bowl. Add a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Seafood is normally salty so a little salt is all that is needed. Toss in the minced garlic.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the shrimp and roast at 400 degrees for approximately 10 minutes (depending on size) or until the shrimp turn pink and are no longer grey.