Beefaroni Skillet Lasagna is a delicious and convenient twist on traditional lasagna. It combines the flavors of beefaroni (a popular pasta dish with ground beef and tomato sauce) with broken up lasagna noodles and cheese, resulting in a hearty and satisfying meal.
This one skillet dinner reminds me of Beefaroni from Hamburger Helper. Does anyone remember that? I’m not sure if they still make it or not but I grew up on it. It was warm, comforting and so nostalgic. There’s no reason why we can’t recreate this classic dish in a healthier way.
This is not a gourmet meal by any means, however it is comfort food and fills up many bellies at the dinner table.
- Beef: The ground beef provides a hearty and meaty flavor to the dish. As it browns in the skillet, it develops a delicious caramelized crust that adds depth and richness.
- Tomatoes: A simple tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes add a slightly sweet flavor.
- Onion, Garlic and Herbs: These aromatic ingredients add a savory, fragrant and earthy dimension to the dish as well as that distinct Italian flavor.
- Cheese: The star of the show, cheese brings a creamy and indulgent element to the skillet lasagna. The most commonly used cheese is mozzarella.
- Lasagna Noodles: The uncooked lasagna noodles absorb the flavors of the sauce as they cook in the skillet. They contribute a tender and slightly chewy texture to each bite.
When combined, these flavors create a harmonious and comforting taste experience. The savory beef, tangy tomato sauce, Italian herbs, and melty cheese all come together to make each bite absolutely delish.
I love these one skillet meals, but I always feel like it needs something to go alongside it.
- Add a fresh salad: A simple green salad makes for a great addition to this hearty meal. Try a mix of leafy greens, cherry tomatoes, and a light vinaigrette.
- Garlic knots: No Italian meal is complete without garlic knots and these can be made in no time at all!
- Antipasto Platter: Create an Italian-inspired antipasto platter with a variety of cheeses such as mozzarella and provolone, olives, marinated artichokes, roasted red peppers, and crusty bread.
MORE ONE SKILLET MEALS:
BEEFARONI SKILLET LASAGNA RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 (28 oz) Can Tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) Can crushed tomatoes
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Dried basil and Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 8-10 Lasagna noodles broken
- 1 Cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Add 1 Tablespoon of oil to a large skillet and heat it over medium/high heat. Add the ground sausage and cook breaking up with a spoon. Once the sausage is half way cooked add the diced onion. Stir and continue cooking until the onion is translucent and soft and sausage is cooked through.
- Add the minced garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, water and sugar to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and stir. Break the lasagna noodles over the skillet and add to the sauce. Press the noodles down as much as possible into the sauce. Cover the pan and allow to simmer over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once the noodles are softened add the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Take off the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.