All the flavor, tastes, and comfort of lasagna with half the work
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Organic Onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 Cloves Organic Garlic, finely chopped
- 5 Cups Marinara Sauce (about 46 ounces)
- 1–2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dried ziti or penne pasta
- 1 Cup Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Organic Egg
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8 oz Freshly Grated Whole Milk Organic Mozzarella Cheese
- 8–12 slices Provolone cheese from the deli counter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 2 Tablespoons of oil and saute the onion 1-2 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper, cook another minute.
- Add the marinara sauce and heat until hot.
- Meanwhile add the pasta to rapidly simmering, NOT BOILING, water and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes or until al dente with a little bite left in it.
- As the pasta is cooking, in a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of sugar if desired.
- Pour a Tablespoon or 2 of olive oil in the bottom of a 9×13 pan and coat.
- Drain the pasta and pour in HALF the pasta and add HALF the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Put dollops of ricotta cheese on top of the pasta. Top it with 4-6 slices of Provolone cheese, then HALF the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining pasta, sauce, ricotta cheese and cheeses ensuring all the pasta is thoroughly covered in sauce.
- Top with fresh Parmesan cheese and bake UNCOVERED at 375 for 30 minutes. Pop the ziti under the broiler for a few minutes at the end to get a nice brown bubbly cheese.