This Mediterranean Chickpea & Feta Salad is packed with all the glorious ripe veggies of summer… crisp bell peppers, cucumbers, red tomatoes, and red onion. It’s all combined with some Kalamata olives, feta cheese, and chickpeas in a lemon vinaigrette. This infamous salad can be served cold, at room temperature, or alone for a quick vegetarian lunch. Try it as a side dish with your favorite burgers!
Mediterranean Chickpea & Feta Salad: A Summer Fav
This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is one of the reasons I love summer as much as I do. This is truly a rainbow in a bowl. Everything about it just screams SUMMER and I look forward to switching from heavy, filling meals to lighter, crisper ones!
With all the mayo slathered salads that are finding their way around picnics and pools over the summer, why not treat your guests with a delicious and refreshing salad that’s actually GOOD for them?
You’ll be contributing to them eating a healthy dish and they’ll love you for bringing such a yummy dish!
A LITTLE KNOWN FACT
Did you know that chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are considered the most widely-eaten legume in the world? It’s really no wonder why research regards these PLANT-BASED legumes as a superfood.
One of the greatest benefits of eating legumes is the amount of magnesium in them. Studies show as a society, especially as women, we are deficient in this very important mineral and just one cup of this delicious Mediterranean salad has an IMPRESSIVE 120 mg. I can’t think of too many other dishes that offer this kind of nutrient goodness.
Ingredients Needed To Make a Mediterranean Chickpea Salad:
Do you want to see just how easy it is to make this salad? Here’s what you need:
- Canned Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) – Please try and find no salt if possible.
- Seedless English Cucumber
- Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Kalamata olives
- Feta Cheese
- Cherry Tomatoes
Combine all the ingredients listed above in a bowl. One thing you want to try and do is make even-sized cuts. In other words, you don’t want a huge chunk of a bell pepper next to a tiny chickpea. Size matters! 😉
The dressing is just as easy to make. One of the easiest ways I have found to make vinaigrettes is to combine all the ingredients into a mason jar and shake … shake … shake.
Again, the ingredients are staple pantry items, so you’ll most likely already have them on hand:
- Olive Oil
- White Wine Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
So to sum this all up… our Mediterranean Chickpea & Feta salad has the hydrating properties of the cucumbers, the Oleic acid from the Kalamata olives (which is a great anti-inflammatory), the Vitamin C from the red peppers, the magnesium from the chickpeas, and red onions contain a higher amount of antioxidant compounds than white or yellow onions.
So there you have it folks, one kick-ass salad that is healthy and beyond delicious! This salad is so surprisingly good. It amazes everyone who tries it. It is also very sturdy, meaning it can last for several days in the fridge, again adding to its list of reasons to make it.Print
Not only does this Mediterranean Chickpea salad scream summer with it’s vibrant and crisp ingredients, it can be served as a Vegetarian lunch or a side dish, cold or room temperature. It’s a potluck winner!
- 2 (15-oz.) Can NO SALT Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 Organic Seedless English Cucumber, chopped
- 1 Organic Bell Pepper, chopped (I used red)
- ¼ Organic Red Onion, thinly sliced (placing the onion is ice cold water for a few min will take out the bitterness)
- ½ Cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ Cup Feta Cheese
- 1 Cup Organic Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- ½ Cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl
- Add the ingredients for the dressing into a mason jar with a lid and shake vigorously or whisk until combined in a small bowl
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT SALAD RECIPES?
Try our Vibrant Summer 4 Bean Salad
Or our shaved Brussel Sprout Salad (TRUST US!)
Or, even better, our Lemon Garlic Kale Salad