I hope you’re into one skillet, easy clean up meals because this Mediterranean Chicken and Rice dish not only surprised me in it’s ease of prep/cook and cleanup; but the flavors knocked my socks off !
The chicken is first sautéed in a cast iron skillet until it gets nice and brown and crispy. But don’t worry about actually cooking the chicken because the dish finishes cooking in the oven, this is just to brown it and get some of that yummy flavor going in the pan.
It gets its Mediterranean flair from the Kalamata olives, the basil and the sun dried tomatoes. All of which pair beautifully together.
But what I was pleasantly surprised with was how the rice absorbed all the flavors of the chicken being seared, the homemade chicken broth, the saltiness from the olives and deep smoky flavor of the sun dried tomatoes.
I really can’t emphasize enough how deliciously robust these flavors are. The rice came out perfectly cooked, not mushy or undercooked. It was perfect!
And because this dish is very easy to make with very little clean up, go ahead and make yourself a rustic bread to go with it!Print
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 Organic Chicken Thighs and 2 Bone In Breasts
- 1 Organic Yellow (or white) Onion cut in quarters
- 1 Organic Bell Pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 Organic Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1/2 Cup Sundried Tomatoes, cut in half
- 4–5 Fresh Organic Basil Leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Organic Parsley , finely chopped
- 1 Cup Organic Long Grain Rice
- 14 oz Can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups Organic Chicken Stock
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Rinse the chicken in warm water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper on both sides
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet/or pan until warm
- Add the chicken and fry skin side down for 3-4 mins on medium-high heat. Turn the chicken over and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate and keep warm
- Add the onion and peppers and cook for approx. 4-5 minutes or until the onion starts to get soft
- Add the garlic and stir – add the spices, olives, tomatoes and basil. Stir and let it get hot
- Add the rice and cook/stir until it soaks up all the juices
- Add the chicken stock, stir to incorporate
- Return the chicken pieces back to the pan on top of the rice
- Bring everything to the boil and cover with foil and allow to bake for about 40 minutes (depending on your oven) until the rice has softened
- Check the chicken with a meat thermometer – the chicken is done when it reaches 160°
- Carefully remove the foil and change oven settings to broil. Move the pan up to the highest rack and broil for approx. 8 min until the chicken is crispy and golden
Recipe Source: HappilyUnprocessed.com
I used all organic ingredients when possible when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂