My world has forever changed! I found this skillet pizza recipe at Brooklyn Ragazza and knew I was going to be all over it!
There is nothing like Chicago’s Deep Dish pizza. If you’ve ever been there you know what I’m talking about. The pizza is so chewy and gooey in the middle but has this crisp crust on the bottom that crunches when you bite into it. It’s pure heaven!
The beautiful thing about this deep dish pizza is the topping combinations are endless! You can make this pizza about as thick as you want with just about any combination of toppings.
- Meat lovers ~ pepperoni, meatballs, sausage, ham, bacon, cheeseburger
- Vegetarians ~ pesto and sundried tomatoes, asparagus and ricotta, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, caramelized onions
- Garden ~ red/yellow/green peppers, onions and mushrooms, black olives, pineapple, broccoli, jalapenos, grape tomatoes
- Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
- Margherita Pizza
Today I chose to use pepperoni and sausage … and the best part?
I stuffed the crust with mozzarella cheese and then when it came out of the oven all hot and bubbly, I slathered some melted garlic butter all over the crispy crust!
I’ll show you how I did it.
In order to achieve a crisp bottom, the layering of this deep dish pizza is important.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. I stuck mine under the broiler for a few seconds to get the cheese really crisp and bubbly like this ….
Whatever you do, be sure to let this cool for at least 5 min (or more) or all the inside yumminess will just ooze on out.
I am warning you all right here and now that this has become my new obsession. I will be making more pizzas than you can keep up with, so expect to see many-a-stuffed-crust-pizza-recipes coming from me!
- Pizza dough (homemade or storebought)
- olive oil
- 8 ounces mozz cheese, divided (6–8 slices for the crust, the rest shredded)
- tomato sauce
- pizza toppings
- basil, oregano, parsley
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a size a little bigger than the skillet
- Pour a few Tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of the skillet coating it
- Drape the pizza dough over the skillet and push down so it forms to the skillet. The sides will still drape over the skillet a bit
- Taking a knife, cut some slices off the block of mozz cheese to use to stuff the crust
- Place the cheese at the end of the dough and roll it down the pan once
- Start layering your pizza starting with the pepperoni, sausage, sauce, then cheese (Feel free to make 2 layers if you wish)
- Sprinkle some basil, oregano and parsley on top
- Bake for 25-30 or until the crust is brown and the cheese is melted
- After the pizza comes out of the oven, melt the butter and garlic together and brush the crust with the garlicy butter