This Seared Salmon Piccata is one of the easiest weeknight meals you may ever make. You told us you were busy and we listened! This delicious family dinner was made with you in mind. It’s done in less than 30 minutes, including the side dish!
What is piccata?
Piccata is a dish that describes meat (or in this case, seafood) that has been cooked in a sauce containing lemon juice, butter, and capers. Over the years, some have tweaked the sauce to also include wine, olive oil, and other seasonings.
For this particular recipe, you’ll use a bit of chicken broth in addition to the classic lemon juice, butter, and capers. This all comes together to create a sauce of perfection.
- Salmon: You’ll want to leave the skin on the salmon fillets for this recipe. Not only will the skin be tasty but it also creates a layer between the flesh of the salmon and the hot pan.
- Lemon Caper Sauce: Shallots, garlic, chicken broth, lemon juice, butter, and capers are combined and cooked to create the lemon butter caper sauce.
- Olive Oil: Used to sear the salmon and cook the shallots and garlic.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley is best used for garnish.
- Seasoning: Salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Easy Seared Salmon Piccata
Step One – It’s important to give the salmon a quick rinse and pat it dry. The secret to getting a good sear is having a DRY protein to start with. You can even place the salmon in the fridge uncovered on a dry plate while preparing the rest of the ingredients to help it along.
Place the salmon in the skillet and cook undisturbed for about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another minute or two depending on thickness. Place the cooked salmon on a plate and continue continue on to making the sauce.
Step Two – Grab those shallots and garlic and soften them in a little oil. Add the broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, and capers. Let the come to a quick simmer until it reduces a little. Take the pan off the heat and add the butter. Swirl the pan until the butter is fully melted.
NOTE: The salmon can be placed back in the pan if it needs to be heated through or the sauce can be spooned over the salmon when ready to serve.
What to serve with Salmon Piccata
- If carbs aren’t an issue, this Perfect Rice Pilaf recipe would make a nice side dish.
- Even a Cauliflower Rice would pair well.
- However, my go to would be orzo. This Creamy Cheddar and Broccoli Orzo is my personal choice.
- If it’s late summer, you simply MUST give this Roasted Sweet Potato, Spinach and Quinoa Salad a go. It’s packed with sweet potatoes, avocado, red onion in a light vinaigrette.
- What type of salmon should I use?
You can use wild or fresh salmon; however, if they are frozen, you’ll want to let them COMPLETELY thaw first. I personally try to avoid farm raised.
- Can I use a different type of fish?
Sure! There are many salmon substitutes such as cod, tilapia, trout, or mahi-mahi.
- How do I store leftovers?
Leftover salmon is great the next day! Simply place the leftovers in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge. It will hold for up to 3 days.Print
A simple, fast and easy dinner for those hectic weeknights when you just don’t feel like cooking!
- 4 (5 oz) Pieces of Salmon (skin on)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- ⅓ Cup Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice, fresh (+ some zest)
- 2 Tbsp. Capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Rinse the salmon, pat completely dry and let rest while gathering the rest of the ingredients. When ready, season liberally with salt and pepper. Heat up a non stick skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil until shimmering. Place the salmon flesh side down and allow to sear undisturbed for approx 4 minutes or until the skin starts to get a little golden.
- Flip the fish carefully with a flimsy fish spatula and cook another minute. Remove to a plate.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if needed and add the shallot and garlic. Cook on low heat until softened – approx. 1-2 minutes. We don’t want the garlic or shallot to brown, just soften and infuse the garlic.
- Add the broth, lemon juice & zest, capers. Simmer until warmed through. Take the pan off the heat and add the 2 Tbsp. butter. Swirl the pan until the butter is fully melted.
- Spoon over the salmon and serve immediately.
What to Pair with this:
Looking for another way to cook salmon? Try our Healthy Grilled Salmon with Lime Mango Salsa recipe!