There really aren’t 2 flavors I love more together than tomatoes and basil. Well, ok maybe 3 … when you add the mozzarella cheese!
Today we have a great salad that takes advantage of the ripeness that only Mother Nature can provide and 2 of these ingredients are being grown right in my own garden.
A year doesn’t go by that I don’t plant a huge thing of basil and 3 different types of tomatoes.
This deliciously fresh and clean summer dish comes together in minutes. Just halve the cherry tomatoes, cut the mozzarella, red onion and basil and toss it into the dressing that’s made up of a little olive oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper.
It’s that simple. The flavors each on their own are so robust and together are just magnificent.
I like to add a sprinkle of salt and pepper on top just before serving. And I’m also not the biggest fan of red onion but I found that if you soak them in cold water for a few minutes it takes that rawness out of them.
This salad is great for a light lunch. It is very hydrating so you don’t feel all bloated or guilty after eating it.
Did you know there is this genius shortcut for cutting a bunch of cherry tomatoes in half? And here I was cutting them up one by one !Print
- 1 ½ Cups Organic Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Organic English Cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 Organic Avocado – diced
- 4 oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese– cubed
- 2 teaspoons Organic Red Onion, diced
- Handful of Organic Fresh Basil or Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chop up the tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, cheese and basil. Add to a large bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegars, salt and black pepper. Pour over the salad and refrigerate until really chilled.
- Just before serving dice up the avocado and gently toss in.