The Four Bean Salad is a picnic MVP. It’s light, refreshing, and packed with nutrients that’ll keep you fueled for all your outdoor adventures. Plus, with that tangy, zesty dressing caressing every bean and veggie, it’s like a flavor explosion that’ll have you coming back for seconds, thirds, and maybe even fourths.
Picture this: a medley of vibrant, colorful beans dancing together in a harmonious symphony of flavor. We’re talking kidney beans, black beans, garbanzo, and navy beans, all dressed to impress. This salad is the epitome of summer freshness, bursting with wholesome ingredients that will make your taste buds do a happy dance.
This salad is a cornucopia of tantalizing ingredients that will take your palate on a wild adventure.
- Crisp bell peppers, juicy cherry tomatoes, and crunchy red onions join the party, bringing a fresh and tangy punch to every bite.
- Black olives and banana peppers add some salt and zing.
- And let’s not forget about the beans – navy, garbanzo, black and kidney all in ONE salad!
WHY PEOPLE WILL EAT YOUR FOUR BEAN SALAD AT PICNICS:
Alright, listen up, my picnic-loving comrades! Today, I’m gonna spill the beans on why a Four Bean Salad is the undisputed champion when it comes to picnic spreads, leaving that boring old potato salad in the dust. But here’s a link to my amazing potato salad recipe anyway, just in case.
First things first, let’s talk about flavor. Don’t get me wrong, potato salad has its place in the culinary world, but it’s often predictable, like a hit single you’ve heard a million times. But the Four Bean Salad? It’s like a rock concert in your mouth, jam-packed with diverse flavors and textures that’ll have you doing a happy foodie dance.
Think about it: those beans, oh boy! They bring a symphony of tastes to the table. Kidney beans bring a hearty richness, black beans pack a meaty punch, chickpeas offer an earthy creaminess, and navy beans add a luxurious touch. It’s like having a full band of flavors serenading your taste buds with every bite.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR BEAUTIFUL FOUR BEAN SALAD
- Choose a few different beans of your liking. I chose black, kidney, garbanzo and cannellini. But there are still more options out there like so go with what you like best.
- I also choose different colored peppers. The red ones are always my favorite because they are so sweet.
- One of the keys to this bean salad is in the dressing. Whisk all the ingredients together except the oil. Then very slowly drizzle the oil in and you will see the dressing begin to emulsify. This creates a much thicker dressing than just a vinegar and oil, which helps it cling to the beans and veggies beautifully.
- Fresh organic parsley and cilantro are a must. Do yourself a huge favor and buy fresh herbs. They make all the difference in a freshly made salad as this.
- Save the tomatoes for last if you can. It’s not necessary but if you can hold off until just before serving they stay fresher.
- Beans need to be handled with kid gloves. Toss gently or you can and will break some beans in the process.
There honestly isn’t an easier salad to make. 90% of the ingredients come in a can. You dice up some peppers, onion and olives, throw them in the bowl. Then mix up the vinaigrette.
Four Bean Salad is like a culinary chameleon. It can be the star of the show, served as a main course for our plant-powered pals. Or it can shine as a sidekick, complementing grilled meats and other picnic favorites. It’s versatile, adaptable, and ready to bring its flavor-packed presence to any picnic spread.
Go make it!Print
Why use three beans when you can use four in this delicious, crunchy salad.
- 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans
- 1 (15 oz) Can Garbanzo Beans
- 1 (15 oz) Can Kidney Beans
- 1 (15 oz) Can Cannellini (or Navy) Beans
- 2 Cups Bell Peppers (yellow, orange and red), diced small
- ¼ Cup Pepperoncini (or Banana) Peppers, diced
- ½ Cup Black or Kalamata Olives, sliced in half
- ⅓ Cup Red Onion, diced
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved (or quartered)
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1–2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Celery Salt
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Fresh Black pepper to taste
- In a large colander, drain and thoroughly rinse all the beans. Continue rinsing until the ‘bubbles’ disappear, picking out any broken, mushy beans or shells from the garbanzo beans.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing EXCEPT the oil. Whisk quickly and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Taste for seasonings and adjust.
- Add the beans, peppers, olives, onion and tomatoes and toss until combined. Add the parsley and cilantro and toss gently.
- Refrigerate at least 1-2 hours before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
MOUTHWATERING CHICKEN BURGERS w SPINACH AND GRUYERE CHEESE
BEST GRILLED CHICKEN EVER