4 types of beans, cherry tomatoes, red onion, olives and vibrant peppers make up this delicious and healthy summer salad that is always the first to disappear at picnics.
This beautifully colorful bean salad is always the first to go at potlucks. No one can resist the vibrant colors. It is also one of the easiest salads to throw together if you are in a pinch for something last minutes.
WHY DO I LIKE BEANS?
- They are full of protein
- They are full of fiber
- They are cheap
Let’s face it, bringing something to every picnic you attend this summer can get expensive. Not to mention there are always 2 or more potato salads. Do yourself a favor and make something different, something colorful, something healthy and something cheap.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR BEAUTIFUL BEAN SALAD
- Choose a few different beans of your liking. I chose black, kidney, garbanzo and cannellini. But there are still more options out there like so go with what you like best.
- I also choose different colored peppers. The red ones are always my favorite because they are so sweet.
- One of the keys to this bean salad is in the dressing. Whisk all the ingredients together except the oil. Then very slowly drizzle the oil in and you will see the dressing begin to emulsify. This creates a much thicker dressing than just a vinegar and oil, which helps it cling to the beans and veggies beautifully.
- Fresh organic parsley and cilantro are a must. Do yourself a huge favor and buy fresh herbs. They make all the difference in a freshly made salad as this.
- Save the tomatoes for last if you can. It’s not necessary but if you can hold off until just before serving they stay fresher.
- Beans need to be handled with kid gloves. Toss gently or you can and will break some beans in the process.
There honestly isn’t an easier salad to make. 90% of the ingredients come in a can. You dice up some peppers, onion and olives, throw them in the bowl. Then mix up the vinaigrette.
The combination of the soft beans with the crunchy peppers is perfect. It is a very clean tasting salad especially with the bright flavors of the parsley and cilantro.Print
Why use three beans when you can use four in this delicious, crunchy salad.
- 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans
- 1 (15 oz) Can Garbanzo Beans
- 1 (15 oz) Can Kidney Beans
- 1 (15 oz) Can Cannellini (or Navy) Beans
- 2 Cups Bell Peppers (yellow, orange and red), diced small
- 1/4 Cup Pepperoncini (or Banana) Peppers, diced
- 1/2 Cup Black or Kalamata Olives, sliced in half
- 1/3 Cup Red Onion, diced
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved (or quartered)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1–2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Fresh Black pepper to taste
- In a large colander, drain and thoroughly rinse all the beans. Continue rinsing until the ‘bubbles’ disappear, picking out any broken, mushy beans or shells from the garbanzo beans.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing EXCEPT the oil. Whisk quickly and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Taste for seasonings and adjust.
- Add the beans, peppers, olives, onion and tomatoes and toss until combined. Add the parsley and cilantro and toss gently.
- Refrigerate at least 1-2 hours before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
MOUTHWATERING CHICKEN BURGERS w SPINACH AND GRUYERE CHEESE
BEST GRILLED CHICKEN EVER