FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup EACH: Tamari (or Organic Soy Sauce), Ketchup, Hoisin Sauce, Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons EACH: Chili Paste, Organic Cornstarch mixed in 3 tsp of water
- 1 Tablespoon EACH: Sesame Oil, Minced Garlic
- 3 Skinless Chicken breast fillets cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon EACH: Salt, Black Pepper, Tamari (or Organic Soy Sauce), Minced Garlic, Ginger (I use ginger paste in a tube)
- 2 Large Eggs, beaten
- 3 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Cup Organic Cornstarch (Amazon sells it)
- Oil for brushing
Begin by making the sauce:
- In a bowl, stir together brown sugar, tamari sauce (soy) , ketchup, Hoison sauce, rice vinegar, chili paste and corn-starch mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the sesame oil and add the minced garlic, sauté it for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the sauce mixture and cook for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat while preparing/cooking the chicken.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- In a bowl, mix the chicken pieces with the salt, pepper, Tamari sauce (soy), garlic and ginger. Allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 350° F.
- Prepare the ‘dredging station’ for the chicken by beating the eggs in a shallow bowl. Then In another shallow dish, mix the flour, corn-starch and ¼ tsp salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and dip the chicken pieces in the egg, shake and dip in the flour mixture. Set aside on a baking cooling rack being careful to keep separated.
- Brush the basket with little oil and place the coated chicken pieces in it. Brush (or spray) some oil on the top.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes on one side, then turn and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Set aside.
- Finally, add the air-fried chicken to the sauce in the skillet and toss the chicken pieces until the sauce thickens and the chicken is well coated in the sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro and serve hot with steamed or fried rice.
NOTE: You can store the sesame chicken in an airtight container for 5 days in the refrigerator or around 3 months in the freezer.