A classic recipe for cheesy au gratin potatoes. This recipe brings together thinly sliced potatoes, onion, butter, cream and cheddar cheese to create a deliciously cheesy and comforting side dish.
- 6–7 Medium Sized Yukon Potatoes (3″ to 4-1/4″ dia.)
- 1/4 Cup Butter, unsalted (and a little for greasing the pan)
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Onions, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, left whole
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Wheat White Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Cups Good Quality Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup
- 1/4 Cup Bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1/2 Cup remaining cheese from above
Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9×9 or 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray or grease with softened butter. Set aside.
Making the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the 1/4 cup of butter and add the onion. Season with a little salt and pepper. (You don’t want the onion to brown so keep the heat low and let the onions soften for about 4 minutes).
- Add the whole cloves of garlic.
- Add the flour and let that cook for at least 1 minute to burn off any raw flour taste, whisking to prevent burning.
- Add the milk, a little at a time, while whisking constantly. Add the heavy cream and do the same.
- Remove the garlic and set on a paper towel.
- Slowly add the cheese (you can remove it from the heat also and keep stirring until the cheese is melted).
- Keep the sauce warm while slicing the potatoes.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER:
- Rub the inside of the baking dish with the garlic that was removed.
- Pour a little sauce on the bottom of the pan and begin layering the potatoes and pouring sauce over them until 3 layers have been completed (for a 9×13″ dish) leaving some sauce to pour on top.
- Cover with foil and bake on the middle rack for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the breadcrumb/cheese mixture on top and continue baking for 10 minutes, turning on the broiler for the last 5 minutes if desired.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Calories 395; Fat 29 gr; Cholesterol 62 mg; Sodium 408 mg; Carbs 24 gr; Fiber 3.2 gr; Protein 14.8 gr
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: side dish
- Method: Baking