Between the creamy broth, soft and tender potato dumplings, bite sized lean chicken breasts and vegetables, this chicken and gnocchi soup is really hard to beat.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cut into small cubes (approx. 2 cups total)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Onion, diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Carrots, diced or julienned
- 1 Cup Celery, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Parsley and finely minced Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Half & Half (or 3/4 Cup Whole Milk & 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream)
- 16 oz. Gnocchi
- 3 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach, stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- Cut up the chicken into small bite sized cubed pieces in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken. Using your hands, combine.
- In a large soup pot, over medium/high heat add the chicken. Let the chicken cook until it’s almost completely white without moving, then stir until done. You may need to add more oil if the chicken begins to stick. Place the chicken on a plate and set aside.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until tender over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Add the garlic and spices. Again stir to combine and sauté another 5-8 minutes or until a fork can be inserted without resistance into the carrots.
- Add the flour into the pot and incorporate. Cook for at least 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Slowly add the chicken broth starting with 1/2 cup. Stir until completely incorporated. Add 1 cup at a time coming to a boil before continuing, finally add the half & half (milk and/or cream).
- Bring the soup to a boil and immediately turn the stove down to low to slow rolling simmer.
- Add the gnocchi and cook according to package directions – lastly, add the spinach and the chicken and lemon.
- Heat through without boiling.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min