Homemade Slow Cooker Baked Beans made from dried beans, not canned, with a perfect blend of spices and a quick soak technique resulting in the perfect textured bean.
- 2 Cups Dry Beans (I used half red and half navy)
- 1/2 lb. No Nitrate Bacon (or 6 slices), cut in 1″ pieces
- 1 Onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Puree
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Dark Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Place the beans in a large stock pot and cover the beans with 2″ of water. Put them over high heat and bring to a full rolling boil. Take the beans off the heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot add the chopped bacon and cook it for a minute or two to let some of the fat come out. Add the onions and green pepper and cook for another 4 min or so but don’t let the bacon crisp.
- Add the tomato puree, garlic and onion powder, sugar, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt and pepper and chipotle chili if using.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, immediately reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans RESERVING THE LIQUID and place them in the slow cooker.
- Pour the reserved liquid in a large glass measuring cup and add enough water to equal 4 cups. Add this to the beans. Add the sauce and stir.
- Cook on high for approximately 3-4 hours or low for approximately 7-8 hours adding regular water (or broth) when needed and stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vinegar once the beans are soft and done cooking.
It’s important not to add vinegar until the end of the cooking process. There is tomato puree in the recipe, which is acidic, and adding the vinegar as the beans are cooking would lower the pH. So please be sure to add it at the end.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 7-8 hours
- Category: side dish
- Serving Size: 6 (1/2 cup) servings
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 21.6 gr
- Sodium: 640 mg
- Fat: 8.2 gr
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 gr
- Carbohydrates: 31 gr
- Fiber: 2.7 gr
- Protein: 9.0 gr
- Cholesterol: 21 gr