- 8 Chicken Thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 – 1 1/2 Cups Italian dressing, recipe below
- Homemade BBQ Sauce, recipe below
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 1 Cloves, Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Begin by mixing all the ingredients for the Italian dressing in a bowl, EXCEPT the oil. Slowly whisk the oil in and the dressing will become thicker and emulsified. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust if necessary. Set aside.
- Trim any excess skin or fat off the chicken thighs and place them in a glass dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to cooking. Prepare your grill by heating it to a medium/high temperature.
- Place the chicken skin side down on a clean, well greased grill over a high flame. Cover and cook approximately 10 minutes or until there is a nice sear on the chicken. You may need to move the chicken to avoid flare ups. So keep an eye on it. Flip the chicken and cook the other side at a lower temperature to finish cooking the chicken on the inside.
- Brush the chicken liberally with the BBQ sauce and continue flipping and/or moving the chicken around the grill until the internal temperature reaches 160-165°F.
FOR THE BBQ SAUCE:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring often for 30 minutes. It will thicken as it cools.
NOTE: I recommend making the BBQ sauce the same day as the marinade and allow to cool and refrigerate.