- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Celery, diced
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Orzo
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon (between 1/3 – 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken (or Turkey)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering add the onion, carrots and celery. Saute the veggies, stirring often for about 4 min or until softened. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add the whole garlic and stir.
- Add the spices and stir to combine and release their aroma and oil.
- Add the broth and water and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the orzo, partially cover and let it cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once the orzo is cooked, add the lemon zest, juice and shredded chicken. Continue to warm through, about another 4 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Add the heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to one week.