Cauliflower Gratin is probably one of the most ridiculously delicious, decadent and insanely addictive side dishes ever created.
- 1 Head Cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Slices Bacon
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3/4 Cup Onion, finely diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 /2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 Cup Cheese (White Cheddar, Smoked Gouda, Gruyere or Swiss work best)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 Cup Panko Breadcrubs
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a 2 qt casserole dish or 8×8 pan with cooking spray or oil. Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Set everything aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into small bite sized pieces. (This recipe used 8 cups of chopped cauliflower.) Place them in a large bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil and season with some salt and pepper. Place the cauliflower on the baking sheet. Place the 2 strips of bacon on the same baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile begin the cheese sauce by melting 3 Tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add the onions and cook for about 4 minutes or until translucent – add the garlic and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Slowly add the milk, whisking (or stirring) to combine. Add the mustard. Turn the heat off and add the 2 cheeses. Stir to combine.
- Take the pan out of the oven and spoon a few spoonfuls of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the cauliflower on top and pour over remaining sauce. Chop up the bacon and sprinkle on top.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top and place the dish back in the oven for 10 minutes or until bubbly and browned.