- 1 cup pearl barley (I used Bob’s Red Mill Pearl Barley 30 oz)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 celery stalk, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz pkg) mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- salt and pepper to taste (check for sodium in chicken broth if store bought before adding more)
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally to see if more oil is needed to prevent sticking and burning.
- Add the garlic and stir – cook 30 seconds to 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until their liquid is released, about 4 minutes.
- Add both broths, water, vinegar, tomato paste, spices and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to simmer.
- Add the barley and cook 45 minutes – 1 hour or until barley is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and check for seasoning. Add more seasonings if necessary.
- Serve hot.