You asked us to create more one skillet dinners and this one hits all the notes. Lean ground turkey, spices, pasta, creamy tomato sauce and cheese AND it’s on the table in under 45 minutes.
- 2 Cups Penne Pasta
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Pepper, diced
- 1 Lb. Ground Lean Turkey
- 3 teaspoons minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 (15 oz. can) Crushed Tomatoes (+ 1/2 Can of Water)
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half Cream
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- Heat the oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until softened, approx. 2-3 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the ground turkey and garlic, breaking up the turkey up with a wooden spoon. When the turkey is about 3/4 of the way cooked, add the Italian seasonings, parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- Once the turkey is cooked through, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon for at least 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, water, sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the penne pasta and cook uncovered until al dente (12 minutes), stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Turn the heat to low and add the half and half. Stir to combine. Slowly add the cheese a handful at a time until melted.
- Cover the pasta with a lid and allow the cheese to continue melting and the pasta to continue absorbing the liquid for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will continue to thicken as it sits. This dish will remain hot for quite some time and gets better as it sits.
- Serve with New York Style Garlic knots and a salad for a complete meal.