A one skillet dinner with seasoned tender chicken, creamy Parmesan orzo, spinach and sundried tomatoes.
- 1 Boneless Chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp. oil + 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or oregano and thyme)
- 1 Cup Orzo
- 2 Cups Low sodium Chicken broth
- 1 Cup Half and Half (or whole milk or heavy cream)
- 1/3 – 1/2 Cup Sundried Tomatoes (I used the ones packed in oil), chopped
- 2 Cups Fresh Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese
- Optional: fresh basil or parsley
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and some Italian seasoning.
- Add about a Tablespoon of oil to a large skillet or Dutch oven and add the chicken. Cook the chicken over medium/high heat until it is no longer pink. Remove from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Add the oil and butter to a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes or until it softens. Add the garlic and orzo and sauté for another minute, stirring to coat the orzo in the oil.
- Add the chicken broth and cream and stir. Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat down so the orzo has a steady simmer, but not boiling. Continue to cook, stirring often until the pasta is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Take the pan off the heat and add the sundried tomatoes, spinach, Parmesan cheese and the chicken back to the pan. Cover allowing the spinach to wilt and the cheese to melt.
- Stir and serve!