For the Toasted Bread:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small boule loaf of bread cut into 1-inch cubes (make them twice the size of crutons)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons champagne (or white wine) vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad:
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cucumber, unpeeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ small red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 20 Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 10 large basil leaves, roughly chopped
To Toast the Bread:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and then add the bread cubes. Sprinkle with salt and cook over medium heat, tossing frequently, until the bread is toasted and golden brown (about 7-10 minutes.) Remove from the heat and let cool.
To make the Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, add all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette and whisk together until well blended.
- To finish the Salad In a large salad bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber slices, red and yellow peppers, onion, basil and capers and olives
- Add the bread cubes and vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Allow the bread to sit for 30 minutes before serving for the best flavor.