Very few ingredients are needed to make an outstanding rice pilaf dish. We chose to add some pan toasted orzo, turmeric, basil and thyme. Topped off with some fresh parsley and slivered toasted almonds, this pilaf is anything but boring.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Orzo
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 1/2 teaspoon each Turmeric, Thyme, Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt and fresh Black pepper
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Slivered Toasted Almonds
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large skillet and add the onion. Cook until translucent, approximately 4 minutes. Add the orzo and the rice stir occasionally until the orzo turns brown and the rice becomes a little translucent, approximately 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the turmeric, salt and pepper, rice and chicken broth. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook without lifting the lid for 15 to 18 minutes. At the end, check that the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. If not, cover and cook another few minutes, adding a few tablespoons of water if needed, total time should be around 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Add chopped parsley and almonds and stir.