- 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3/4 – 1 Cup Half and Half
- 1 Whole Head of Roasted Garlic, taken out of skin and mashed (*see below)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 8 ounces Mascarpone Cheese
- Sea Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
HOW TO ROAST GARLIC:
- Peel and discard the papery outer layers of the whole garlic bulb, leaving intact the skins of the individual cloves of garlic.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1/4 to a 1/2 inch from the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
- Place the bulb in some aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap it up and place it the oven at 400°F for about 30 minutes.
- Cool and remove roasted garlic cloves from their skins: Allow the garlic to cool enough so you can touch it without burning yourself. Use a small knife cut the skin slightly around each clove. Use a small fork or your fingers to pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins. Mash with a fork.
TO MAKE THE POTATOES:
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, add cold water just to cover and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until tender. Drain well and run through a food mill set over a large bowl.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the milk, garlic and butter in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir the milk mixture into the potatoes until combined. Fold in the mascarpone and season well with salt and pepper.