FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, extra for buttering the bottom of the dish
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder, Sea Salt and Paprika – a sprinkle of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 1/4 Cup Shredded Smoked Gouda Cheese, separated 1 cup and 1/4 cup
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs (parsley, basil, chives)
- 1 Cup Large Elbow Noodles
- Gather the ingredients for the topping in a small bowl and set aside.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 2 qt oval baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place a few cups of water in a large saucepan with approximately 1/2 Tablespoon of Sea salt. When the water boils, add the elbows and cook 2 minutes under the boxes directions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in another saucepan. When it has melted, add the flour and whisk for 1 minute but do not brown.
- Slowly add 1/4 cup of the milk and whisk until thick. Add another 1/4 cup, continuously whisking any lumps out. Continue until you’ve used all of the milk and it’s the consistency you desire. You may need a little more to thin it out after the cheese is melted.
- Add the garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Take the roux off the heat and add all the cheese, whisking until melted. Take this time to test how thick the sauce is and slowly add more milk until the cheese is pourable.
- Drain the noodles and place them in the baking dish. Top with the cheese sauce and gently stir to combine. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top of that and spread around.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-15 minutes, putting it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden brown (if desired).