A spin on the classic beef filled peppers with seasoned ground turkey, cauliflower rice and a homemade marinara sauce. Sure to become a regular in your menu!
FOR THE MARINARA SAUCE:
- 1 Can (28 ounces) Whole Peeled Tomatoes (nothing beats San Marzano)
- 1 Medium Sized Onion, diced
- 3 LARGE Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon ea Dried Oregano, Sea Salt and Sugar
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 5–6 Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 Bell Peppers, tops chopped off, rims and seeds removed
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 3/4 Cup Onion, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ea Cumin, Chili Powder, Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups Mariana Sauce (see below)
- 2 Cups Cauliflower Rice (see below)
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Prepare the Cauliflower Rice: Trim the cauliflower florets and pulse them in a food processor until they resemble couscous. Toss with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make the Marinara Sauce: In a medium saucepan, sauté diced onions in olive oil until softened. Add garlic, tomatoes, oregano, salt, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, occasionally crushing the tomatoes with a spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, and pulse the sauce in a food processor for desired consistency. Stir in chopped basil.
- Prepare the Filling: Sauté diced onion, ground turkey, and garlic in olive oil until the turkey is browned and cooked through. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Combine with cauliflower rice and 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce. Stir in approximately 1 cup of cheese.
- Stuff the Peppers: Spoon the filling into each bell pepper, adding chunks of cheese if desired. Place the stuffed peppers in a loaf pan, pour about 1/4 cup of water in each pan, cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes or until peppers are soft and easily pierced with a knife.
- Serve and Enjoy: Let the stuffed peppers cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Savor the delightful flavors of seasoned turkey and cauliflower rice, complemented by the rich and comforting marinara sauce. These stuffed peppers are perfect for a hearty weeknight dinner or for preparing ahead and freezing for later enjoyment.