Lean bite sized chicken nuggets that have been pan seared are baked in a sweet and sour sauce and served over fried rice and vegetables for a delicous alternative to Chinese take out
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1 Cup (more or less) Cornstarch (you won’t use all of it)
- 2–3 Large Eggs, whisked with a little milk
- Olive Oil (for frying)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 /3 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Tamari (type of soy sauce w no MSG)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Place about 1/4 cup of cornstarch in a large Ziploc bag or a shallow dish and create an assembly line of cornstarch in one bowl, egg in another.
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet until hot (you want the pan very hot, but not smoking)
- In batches, place some chicken in the cornstarch bag and shake, then dip in the egg and put into the pan.
- Cook for about a minute on each side, just until browned.
- Place the chicken in a 9×13 baking dish (I place a paper towel in the pan to absorb any excess oil)
- Repeat until all chicken is browned.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. 45 minutes may seem like a long time, but that’s what is needed for the sauce to completely thicken.
- Serve over brown rice or Chinese fried rice.