Sloppy joes are a loose meat sandwich that is made with ground beef, onions and peppers and spices that are simmered in a savory tomato based gravy and served mile high on a toasted bun.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers (I use red and green)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Onion Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 6 oz. Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Chili Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over low/medium heat, saute the peppers in 1-2 Tbsp olive oil for approx 3-4 minutes or until they being to soften.
- Turn the heat to high and add the ground beef. Sprinkle with the minced onion, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Brown the beef until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart. Once you see the beef begin to brown on the bottom, give it a good stir and being breaking the beef up with a wooden spoon or fork. Cook the beef until it’s almost cooked through. Drain the excess oil if there is any.
- Once drained, continue breaking the beef up as finely as possible.
- Add the sauce and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and let simmer for about 5-10 minutes, partially covered.
- Remove from the heat and serve over toasted buns.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THESE:
PERFECTLY ROASTED STEAK FRIES