A traditional Irish dish made with ground beef and vegetables in a savory seasoned gravy topped with mashed potatoes with a little melted cheese underneath.
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 1/2 – 2 Lbs. Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 1/2 Cup Organic Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp Organic Garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. Organic Ketchup
- 1 Pkg Frozen Mixed Veggies (Corn, Carrots and Green Beans)
- 2 Tablespoons Flour (I use Bob Mills)
- 1 1/2 Cups Organic Beef Stock or Broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 4–6 Ounces Organic Cheese, freshly grated (I use Cheddar)
FOR THE MASHED POTATOES:
- Mashed potatoes (Between 1 1/2 – 2 lbs)
- Turn the broiler on to 500 ° F
- Add the oil to a large skillet and when hot, add the onion and saute until it becomes translucent (about 4-5 min). Season with salt and pepper. Keep the flame on low so the onion doesn’t brown.
- Add the garlic and stir it around with the onion for about 1 minute.
- Add your meat and once again season with salt and pepper. Cook through, breaking up with a fork as it cooks. Drain if necessary.
- Sprinkle the flour all around and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup, beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 -10 minutes or until the gravy thickens a bit.
- Pour the beef mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish and layer the vegetables on top of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Top with the mashed potatoes, spreading evenly and covering all the meat and cheese.
- Being that the meat is already cooked through, all that’s needed is to brown the potatoes. Carefully put your casserole dish under the broiler until the potatoes get a nice crust on top and turn golden brown. This could take up to 5-10 minutes.