A deep, robust and flavorful Vegetarian pie made with roasted sweet potatoes, deep caramelized onions, mushrooms, carrots, peas and lentils in a tomato based savory gravy topped with mashed potatoes!
- 1–2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Onion, large dice
- 16 oz. Bella Mushrooms, diced different sizes (1 cup almost minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 15 oz. Diced Tomatoes, drained (I used Fire Roasted)
- 1 Cup Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Cooked Lentils
- 1 Medium Sized Sweet Potato, diced and roasted
- 2–3 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cut up a medium sized sweet potato into a small dice and place in a small bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Place the sweet potato on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast at 450°F until a knife is inserted freely (approx. 10-15 min)
- Meanwhile, cook 1/2 cup green lentils according to directions in a small saucepan (this can take 30 minutes).
- In a large skillet, over medium heat add 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onions when the oil begins to shimmer. We want these onions to caramelize, this can take upwards of 15-20 minutes. Make sure the heat is on low and stir often. Add a teaspoon of oil if the onions start to burn or cook too fast.
- Once the onions are a deep brown color, add 2 Tablespoons of butter and the chopped/diced/minced mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid from the mushrooms has been released and evaporated.
- Sprinkle the flour around the pan and stir. Cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and give it a good stir to get rid of any canned acidic taste. Add the red wine, vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce and spices (including salt and pepper).
- Add the sweet potato, 1 cup of cooked lentils, the drained diced tomatoes and 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables. Stir to combine and taste for seasonings.
- Simmer with a partially covered lid for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add as many mashed potatoes as you like. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and run a fork up and down the pan to score the top of the potatoes. Drizzle very lightly with olive oil.
- Place under the broiler on the 2nd shelf of the oven and broil until the mashed potatoes are golden.
- Wait 5-10 minutes before serving.
YOU WILL NEED PRECOOKED MASHED POTATOES, GREEN LENTILS AND 1 SWEET POTATO FOR THIS RECIPE.