There is no need for flour to make a roux in this Cauliflower & Cheese Soup ~ all that is needed is a beautiful head of cauliflower, potato, carrots, spices, broth and cream.
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Butter
- 1/2 Cup Organic Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Organic Carrot, diced
- 1/2 Cup Organic Celery, diced
- 2 Cloves Organic Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 2 1/2 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 Small Head Organic Cauliflower, cut into florets (6 cups)
- 1 Medium Organic Potato, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 Cup Organic Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Organic Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon dried Chives
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot and celery, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of salt and a pinch of pepper. Saute for approx. 4 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook a minute longer. Add the spices and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add another tsp of sea salt if you are using homemade chicken broth or low sodium.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the cauliflower and potato. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, approximately 10 min. Puree the soup using an immersion blender (or carefully blending in batches in a blender) until smooth.
- Take the soup off the heat and add the heavy cream and cheese. Heat until the cheese is melted through. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper if necessary. Add 1 Tablespoon dried chives.