Tender shredded chicken is combined with bold spices, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, beans and rice for a very filling and satisfying soup!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. Chicken Breast, lightly pounded for evenness
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 32 oz. Chicken Broth
- (1) 28 oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 16 oz. Water
- (1) 14.5 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- 1 Cup Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Organic Corn
- 1/2 Cup Rice, uncooked
- 8 oz Shredded Cheese of choice
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place a large saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Add the olive oil and once hot, add the chicken and cook until it is lightly browned on one side (approx. 4-5 minutes). Flip and cook the other side until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and let cool. Once cooled, shred with 2 forks.
- In the same saucepan, add another Tablespoon of oil and once hot, add the onion. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and sauté for approx. 2 min. Add the garlic and jalapeno. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is just becoming golden.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, water, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Raise heat to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in rice. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for for 15 minutes for white rice or 30 for brown, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and cheese.
- Serve the soup with desired toppings.
TOPPINGS: tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, guacamole and/or lime wedges.