- Place a large saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onion. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and saute for approx. 2 min. Add the garlic and jalapeno. Saute for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is just becoming golden.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, water, diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Raise heat to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in rice. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for for 15 minutes for white rice or 30 for brown, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken and stir. Add the cheese.
Optional: Serve with tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream ,cilantro, guacamole and/or lime wedges.