- 2 Cups Orzo Pasta
- 2 1/2 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Organic Broccoli, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Organic Butter
- 1/3 Cup Organic Onion, diced small
- 1 Clove Organic Garlic, minced
- 3/4 Cup Organic Half and Half
- 3/4 Cup Organic Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper to taste
TO MAKE THE ORZO & BROCCOLI:
- Begin by heating about 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet, let it warm up for about a minute. Add the orzo and lightly stir it around the pan so it toasts, this will give the orzo a nutty flavor.
- When the orzo starts to turn golden in color, add the broth starting with just 1/2 cup. Let the orzo absorb the liquid entirely, then add the rest. Give it a stir, bring to a quick boil and turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, give the orzo a quick stir and add the broccoli. Cover again and finish cooking.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Add the butter to a large saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s melted add the chopped onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Let that simmer for about 2-3 minutes until it softens.
- Add the half and half and cheddar cheese. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Take the cheese sauce off the heat and add the parmesan cheese. Keep warm until the orzo has finished cooking.
- Add the creamy sauce to the cooked orzo and stir.
- Serve warm.