This basic marinade for chicken is completely foolproof! Its been a staple in our house since I began cooking. Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon, lime, sugar and a little Dijon is all it takes to produce some of the best chicken you will grill this summer!
I’ve been asked for my Grilled Chicken marinade recipe time and time again and have kept it very close to the vest. This is my grilling GO TO recipe every time and always will be. I wait all winter for summer to come just so I can fire up the barbeque and slap this chicken on the grill!
When I get really desperate, come January, I make it inside on my grill, but boy does it smoke up my house. Plus it’s just not the same as being outside on a warm summers night, with a drink in hand, filling the skies with the intoxicating smell of honey chicken on the bbq.
I’m making a public apology to all my neighbors that are down wind. Between my bbq and my husbands obsession with LARGE fires in the fire pit … well, maybe I should just invite them over and once they bite into this chicken they will understand perfectly why we are on such good terms with the Fire Dept.
Be sure to save some of the UNUSED marinade (like a 1/4 cup) to pour all over the chicken when it is done cooking.
It is HEAVENLY! I’ve also saved a little marinade and drizzled it over my salad with this chicken for lunch.
UPDATE: There have been a lot of comments left regarding the ‘leftover’ marinade. Please do NOT use marinade that raw chicken has touched. What I meant when I wrote this was, set ASIDE some of the marinade to pour over the chicken after it’s cooked. It adds a lot of juice and flavor.Print
Simply the best basic chicken marinade out there! Be sure to save some BEFORE marinating to pour over the cooked chicken.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl except the olive oil
- Drizzle in oil very slowly while whisking quickly
- Put the chicken in a large Ziploc bag and pour between 1/2 ~ 3/4 of the marinade over it.
- Put the chicken in the fridge and marinate at least 2 hours
- Grill chicken over med/high heat and cook until juices run clear