Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
A flavorful creamy chicken soup with onions, carrots, garlic, mushrooms and filling wild rice. You can’t go wrong !
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice blend
- 1 cup chopped organic onion (from about 1 small onion)
- 1 cup organic carrots, diced (from 2 medium)
- 1 cup organic celery diced (from 2 – 3 stalks)
- 8 oz. organic button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tbsp organic salted butter
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use THIS)
- 1–2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1–2 organic chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1/4 cup organic white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole milk
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream
- Prepare rice according to directions listed on package. (I personally use half vegetable broth and half water for more flavor)
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Saute until slightly tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute longer.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly, whisk in the milk and then the chicken broth. Taste for seasoning and add salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Add cooked rice and the chicken to the soup.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until heated through.
All nutrition information is approximate
Calories 223; Fat 13.8 gr; Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 654 mg;
Carbs 14.2 gr; Fiber 1.6 gr; Sugar 3 gr; Protein 11 gr