- (2) 28 oz Cans Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced finely
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 1/2 Cups Chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream, warmed
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk, warmed
- 10–15 Basil Leaves (depending on size)
- Sauté the onion in a stockpot or large sauce pan over medium/low heat in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Let it soften but not brown, approx. 2-3 min. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the tomatoes and broth, bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar and butter and stir slowly until they are dissolved.
- Slowly add the heavy cream while stirring – add the milk continuing to stir.
- Add the basil.
- Using an immersion blender, pulverize the soup until it is creamy and velvety. (A blender would work as well, just be sure to work in batches and make sure the lid is on tight with a cloth or towel covering it in case the liquid spills out.)
- Top with a little fresh parm cheese and croutons or serve with your favorite sandwich!