Making Tomato Basil Soup from scratch is easier than you think. With our step-by-step guide and recipe, you’ll be enjoying a warm bowl of homemade soup in no time. Say goodbye to canned soup forever!
Making tomato basil soup from scratch is a rewarding and delicious experience. I can’t think of a warmer or more comforting soup than Tomato Soup, can you?
On a crisp fall day, few things are as satisfying as a steaming bowl of tomato basil soup. But there’s no need to settle for the canned stuff when it’s so easy to whip up a delicious batch from scratch. With just a handful of fresh ingredients and a little patience, you can create a soup that’s bursting with flavor and packed with nutrients.
And let’s face it …. there’s just NO better soup to dip a grilled cheese sandwich in !!
So grab a spoon and get ready to impress your taste buds – and your dinner guests – with this comforting classic.
Gather your ingredients
To make the perfect tomato basil soup from scratch, it all starts with the right ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
- Whole (or crushed) Tomatoes
- Onion and garlic
- Vegetable or chicken broth
- Butter, heavy cream, milk (or half and half)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Cook your tomato basil soup
With all of your vegetables prepped, it’s time to bring your soup to life.
- Begin by heating a large pot over medium low heat and adding some olive oil. Once the oil is warm, add in your chopped onion, then the garlic, stirring frequently until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Next, add in your tomatoes and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for several minutes until the tomatoes begin to soften and break down. As they soften, use the back of a wooden spoon to continue breaking up the tomatoes.
- Now it’s time to add in the broth, the dairy, sugar, basil and a pinch of salt. Continue to warm through and finally blend with an immersion blender until you get a smooth texture.
MORE SOUP RECIPES:
- Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup – better than Panera!
- Incredible Crab Bisque – a reader favorite!
- Olive Garden Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup – so filling, I eat it like a meal.
TOMATO AND BASIL SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
- (2) 28 oz Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ½ Cup Onion, diced finely
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream, warmed
- ½ Cup Whole Milk, warmed
- 10–15 Basil Leaves (depending on size)
- Add the oil and butter to a large stockpot over medium low heat and sauté the onion until it softens, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the tomatoes and broth, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar and butter and stir slowly until they are dissolved.
- Slowly add the heavy cream while stirring – add the milk continuing to stir.
- Add the basil.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is creamy and velvety. (A blender would work as well, just be sure to work in batches and make sure the lid is on tight with a cloth or towel covering it in case the liquid spills out.)
- To serve, top the soup with a little fresh Parmesan cheese and croutons or serve with your favorite sandwich!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 10 gr
- Sodium: 591 mg
- Fat: 16.4 gr
- Saturated Fat: 8.4 gr
- Carbohydrates: 12.9 gr
- Fiber: .9
- Cholesterol: 39 mg