Lean chicken breasts are brushed in a sweet honey mustard glaze, then coated in a nutty pistachio and breadcrumb mixture and pan seared until golden brown. They are served with a creamy honey mustard sauce spooned on top.
2 Chicken Breasts, sliced in half lengthwise and pounded thin
HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1 Tablespoon Smooth Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Grainy Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN COATING:
- 1 Cup Shelled Pistachios
- 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
HONEY MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE:
- The remainder of the honey mustard sauce
- 1/2 Cup Shallot (or Onion), diced
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt, fresh pepper to taste
- Make the Honey Mustard sauce and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the pistachios, breadcrumbs and rosemary. Pulse on low until finely chopped. Pour into a shallow dish.
- Slice the chicken in half lengthwise and place between wax paper or saran wrap and pound thin with a mallet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides then spoon some of the honey mustard sauce over it. Turn over and repeat.
- Using a pair of tongs, place the chicken in the pistachio/breadcrumb mixture and press down, coating on both sides.
- Place enough oil in the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat to cover the bottom. Heat it up slowly so it does not get too hot. The pistachios are prone to burn if the heat is too high. Cook approximately 4 minutes per side depending on thickness. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked – approx. 6 thin slices – wiping the pan clean after each batch.
- Once the chicken is cooked, and set aside, turn the heat to low and place a Tablespoon of oil in the hot pan. Add the shallots and cook for a few minutes until they soften. Stir often if the pan is still too hot or lower the heat. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the remaining honey mustard sauce, thyme and chicken broth. Whisk in the cream and let the mixture simmer for several minutes until it thickens and reduces Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Spoon over the chicken if serving immediately or alongside if not.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
ROASTED RED POTATOES WITH PARMESAN CHEESE