Roasted red peppers are beautifully balanced with cream and parmesan cheese for a luxuriously creamy sauce made in mere minutes!
- 3 Red Bell Peppers
- 2–3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1– 1 1/2 Cups Half and Half (or 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream & Whole Milk)
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/3 Cup Romano or Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, julienned
- salt and pepper to taste
TO ROAST THE PEPPERS:
- Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Lightly coat them with olive oil and place them cut side down on cookie sheet.
- Preheat the broiler to 500° and place the peppers on the top rack. Let them roast until the tops are completely blackened, checking often. This can take up to 15-20 minutes.
- Cover them with a glass bowl or put them in a paper bag to steam for approx. 5-10 min.
- When cool, remove the skin from the peppers and cut into small pieces.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, sauté the onions in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil until they begin to soften, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add the chopped roasted peppers. Cook a minute more.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until you get a smooth consistency.
- Put the mixture back into the sauce pan and add the half & half. Let it come to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon of water and add to the pan. Add the parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the basil.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, chicken, fish or add to sandwiches.
All nutrition information is approximate:
Calories 235; Fat 18.6 gr; Cholesterol 58 mg; Sodium 232 mg; Carbs 11.4 gr; Fiber 1.7 gr; Sugar 5.9 gr; Protein 6.8 gr
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American