This roasted red pepper sauce will absolutely knock your socks off! And we even show you how to roast the peppers step by step!
One of our most popular recipes is our Butter & Garlic Cream Sauce. I imagine it is due to its simplicity. Some of the best sauces are really very simple to make.
Today I am showing you another very simple sauce to make, it’s our Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. For some reason the title makes it sound hot. The words ROASTED and PEPPER tend to do that. But let me assure it, it is NOT hot … AT ALL.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED RED PEPPER SAUCE:
- We first want to begin by roasting some red peppers. Now there is a myriad of ways to do this first step but I find one of the easiest ways is to broil them.
- Cut the peppers in half, deseed them and brush them with a little oil so they don’t burn. We want them to blacken but they will need a bit of oil to help with that.
- We want the peppers to look very blackened and charred they are done (like the picture below). They will be almost completely black on top, but that’s exactly what we are looking for. This can take anywhere from 15-20 minutes.
- Because we are working with a broiler at over 500°F it’s important to keep an eye on them. Please don’t walk away.
- The peppers will now need a chance to cool off and steam. Again, there are several ways to do this. I personally just throw a bowl on top of them. You can see the steam rising and fogging up the bowl.
- Another way to do it is to put the peppers in a brown paper bag. Roll it tight and let them sit for about 10 minutes.
- Now it’s simply a matter of peeling away the charred skin and setting the peppers aside.
- Give them a rough chop and they are added to some onions and garlic that you’ve previously sautéed.
- Transfer the peppers, onions and garlic to a food processor and pulse it until it is completely smooth.
- Lastly, the roasted red pepper sauce gets its finishing touches with a hint of cream and parmesan cheese!
Roasted red peppers are beautifully balanced with cream and parmesan cheese for a luxuriously creamy sauce made in mere minutes!
- 3 Red Bell Peppers
- 2–3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- ½ Onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1– 1 ½ Cups Half and Half (or ¾ Cup Heavy Cream & Whole Milk)
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- ⅓ Cup Romano or Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil, julienned
- salt and pepper to taste
TO ROAST THE PEPPERS:
- Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Lightly coat them with olive oil and place them cut side down on cookie sheet.
- Preheat the broiler to 500° and place the peppers on the top rack. Let them roast until the tops are completely blackened, checking often. This can take up to 15-20 minutes.
- Cover them with a glass bowl or put them in a paper bag to steam for approx. 5-10 min.
- When cool, remove the skin from the peppers and cut into small pieces.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, sauté the onions in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil until they begin to soften, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add the chopped roasted peppers. Cook a minute more.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until you get a smooth consistency.
- Put the mixture back into the sauce pan and add the half & half. Let it come to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon of water and add to the pan. Add the parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the basil.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, chicken, fish or add to sandwiches.
All nutrition information is approximate:
Calories 235; Fat 18.6 gr; Cholesterol 58 mg; Sodium 232 mg; Carbs 11.4 gr; Fiber 1.7 gr; Sugar 5.9 gr; Protein 6.8 gr
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 min - 1 hour (includes time to roast and cool peppers)
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American