Easy Clean Eating Mexican Rice
- 1 Tablespoon organic butter
- 1 cup organic long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup organic onion, diced finely
- 1/4 cup organic green (or red) pepper, diced finely
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried organic cumin
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped organic cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped organic parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes, drained (or salsa or petite diced tomatoes)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- Add the butter to a large skillet that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add the rice and over medium heat, sauté until light brown, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions and peppers and sauté another minute (your pan will start to get very hot and may even get a little loud)
- Add the garlic and stir to combine.
- VERY CAREFULLY add the chicken stock, your pan may sizzle and pop and steam so please use caution.
- Add your spices, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Stir and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 35 minutes without lifting the lid.
- After 35 min stir the rice to see how much liquid is left, if it needs a little more time, continue to cook, otherwise, turn the stove off, put the lid back on and let the rice sit for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and enjoy!