So … remember that delicious, tender flank steak we made the other day? Yes, this one.
Well we are going to take those leftovers (stop laughing) and make ourselves some Flank Steak Fajitas! Seriously, why get only one meal out of the time and effort of marinating and cooking a steak when you can get two?
SO WHAT ARE FAJITAS?
Have you ever been in a restaurant and heard this loud hot sizzle go by .. and then a flash of hot steam and this unbelievable smell of onions and peppers and deep seasonings? Those were fajitas my friends.
Fajitas are grilled strips of chicken, steak or shrimp that have been seasoned with chili powder, cumin and other spices cooked under a very high heat and served with onions and peppers, fresh tortillas, sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
WHAT’S THE BEST BEEF FOR FAJITAS?
Let’s face it, 99.9% of restaurants are not using beef tenderloin for their fajitas, especially if you are paying $12.99. They are using either a skirt steak or a flank steak. Both are much tougher cuts of meat but also quite economical. As long as you marinade the steak for about 8 hours, cook it until it’s medium and slice in going AGAINST the grain you will have a great fajita.
I usually don’t go out of my way to make fajitas. What I do is buy a bigger piece of flank steak then I know we will eat at one dinner and set some aside right after I make it. That way I’m sure to have something for dinner the next night.
Then all I have to do is grab a few bell peppers and a large onion and saute them over high heat with some homemade fajita seasoning. I add the steak at the end to heat through and walaa! we have dinner!Print
FAJITA SEASONING MIX:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Fajita Sized Packaged Tortillas
- Thinly sliced Flank Steak (GET RECIPE HERE)
- 1 Large Organic Onion, cut in half then in moon shaped ringlets
- 1 Large Organic Green Pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 Large Organic Red Pepper, cut into thin strips
TOPPINGS: Sour Cream, Guacamole, Diced Tomatoes, Shredded Cheese
- Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasoning in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl add 1 -2 Tablespoons of olive oil, 1 Tablespoon lime juice, 2 Tablespoons Fajita seasoning and the cut up onions and peppers. Stir to thoroughly coat.
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, saute the onions and peppers until soft (approximately 7-10 minutes).
- Add the sliced flank steak to heat through.
- Spoon the filling down the center of a warmed fajita and top with desired toppings.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY WEEKNIGHT MEALS?
- CHEESEBURGER MACARONI SKILLET
- CHICKEN FRANCESE
- HAMBURGER HELPER BEEF STROGANOFF
- THE JUICIEST BURGERS YOU’LL EVER EAT!