A homemade, healthier version of boxed cheeseburger macaroni. Seasoned ground beef and onions simmer alongside pasta in tomato sauce and beef broth and is then topped with cheese for a one skillet dinner.
One of the main reasons I started this website back in 2012 was to help others avoid the boxed, processed versions of popular meals and make the same meal from scratch.
The ‘unprocessed’ part of our website tries to adhere as closely to the definition to this word as possible, while still maintaining some sort of realism that Americans love their pasta and comfort foods.
Cheeseburger macaroni is truly an American classic with all the elements that make us want to devour it with a shovel. It is comfort food all the way and it tastes as good as it looks.
This cheeseburger skillet is super easy to make and I’ve timed myself making it several times. And it takes exactly one minute LESS than the boxed version.
The best part? There’s no powdered cheese.
This recipe truly does not take a MINUTE more to make than the boxed version.
Feel free to adjust this recipe to your families tastes. I’ve added ½ can of diced tomatoes and some diced green peppers too. I’ve made it both ways and we are split in our house. I prefer it with the tomatoes and peppers, the rest do not.
You can make it either way, but I totally understand if you have kids and they don’t like those little ‘things’ in there.
Or you can make it just like pictured below. That’s the beauty of making it yourself.Print
A homemade, healthier version of the famous boxed dinner. Seasoned ground beef and onions simmer alongside pasta in tomato sauce and beef broth and is then topped with cheese for a one skillet 30 minute dinner.
- 1 – ½ lbs. Ground Beef
- ½ Cup Onion, diced
- ½ Cup Green Pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder (you can use fresh too)
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ Cups Whole Milk
- 1 ½ Cups Beef Broth
- 1 /2 (15 oz) Can Diced Tomatoes (optional)
- 2 Cups Elbow Macaroni, uncooked (whole wheat will add a few min to the cooking time)
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce (try to find one with low sugar or make your own)
- 2 Cups Cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper (if using), breaking up the beef as it cooks. When done, drain if necessary and add the paprika, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Stir in the milk, broth, diced tomatoes, Dijon mustard and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, add the pasta and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in shredded cheese and parmesan cheese until melted.
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES?